Mold is a type of fungus found almost everywhere, including inside buildings. In nature, mold helps the decomposition process by breaking down materials and assisting decay. Because mold causes property damage and is a health concern, mold in the home should be removed. Water leaks commonly cause mold, but there are other reasons why it may grow, too. Any moisture in your home could contribute to mold growth.
Is Mold in the Home Dangerous?
Many people suffer from allergies and upper respiratory problems if mold is growing. It is especially dangerous to kids and elderly individuals. Some varieties produce mycotoxins that can be harmful to humans and pets if ingested or inhaled. Some people experience coughing, eye irritation, stuffiness, wheezing, and other allergy symptoms. People with compromised immune systems and lung issues may experience more severe reactions, including shortness of breath and lung infections.
Is Mold Growing in Your Home?
Mold has a distinct, unpleasant odor which is the most common indicator. If you notice a musty smell, it’s likely that mold is growing in the house. Often, mold spreads behind walls and roofs, where it can’t be seen. If your allergies are particularly bothersome when you’re at home but subside when you’re away, mold is a likely culprit. You may also spot mold, which can appear as green, pink, orange, black, or brown stains, stripes, or spots.
Common Areas for Mold Growth
Mold thrives in damp, humid areas like bathrooms and basements. Carpets and duct vents are other common places for mold growth. A leaking roof can lead to mold in the attic. Mold can and will grow on almost any surface if the conditions are suitable.
How to Remedy Mold in the Home
A professional mold inspection is the first step in diagnosing the problem. It’s also important to repair any water leaks or plumbing problems at the first sign of mold. Even a small leak can contribute to mold growth and cause property damage. Reduce humidity levels and keep living spaces dry. If a severe mold infestation is found, it should be professionally removed. Your mold inspector will make recommendations for the next steps to take.